Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Turning 50!!!!!




Holy guacamole, I just turned the big 5.0.!!


Where in the world did the time go?  I don't feel that old on the inside.  I'm still 25!!

Ya, know I have been dreading this day for awhile, but it was not as bad as I anticipated.  Actually, I think turning 40 was worse.  I thought I would be wallowing in depression.  Thinking back on my life and wondering how big of a loser I am.   Surprisingly, that did not happen.

Instead, I found myself looking on all the things I had accomplished over the last 10 years.  Here are a few.

  •  I have worked for a gourmet chef and learned some new techniques. 
  •  I have a job I love where I make a difference every day.
  •  I learned how to knit sweaters and socks.
  •  I am now an artist (small and learning, but one none the less).
  •  I am a tour guide at a small local museum.
  •  I have discovered that I have an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
  •  The kids have visited Disney twice and Universal once. 
  •  I started a Youtube channel using art and faith to battle depression/anxiety.
Looking back made me see that my life, so far, has seen some of my dreams come true.  I have done things I never even thought of doing.  Not too shabby.

The thing that I did dwell on was actually the future.  Not to be morbid, but the death of many loved ones lies in the future.  Just as I am old(er) my folks are too.  I just lost an aunt and uncle, and know that my last set along with my parents are likely to pass away during this next decade.  Pain and sadness seem to be on the horizon.

I needed to break the cycle of morbidity which is when I came up with the above list.  While it made me feel like I have been leading a good life, it made me wonder what good things do I have to look forward to since I know death of loved ones is inevitable. 

What dreams do I still have on my bucket list?  

Image result for free bucket picture
  •  Writing a book.
  •  Illustrating a book.
  •  Visiting Europe
  •  Visiting Hawaii 
  •  Grand children
  •  Walking a 5K
  •  Walking a 10K
  •  Selling a painting
  •  Sewing a dress
  •  Sewing a patchwork quilt
  •  Traveling with my hubby in a camper to different national parks.
  •  Learn to play an instrument.
These were just what I came up with that night.  It reminded that adventures, dreams and new experiences are not just for the young.  There is still a lot to do, see and experience.  

While there will be pain and loss in the future, there will also be joy, happiness and excitement.  The Lord will help me through the pain, and be with me to celebrate during the joy.  





No comments:

Post a Comment